Wasting our lives and glorifying God

Wasting our lives and glorifying God
Notice God's unutterable waste of saints, according to the judgment of the world. God plants His saints in the most useless places. We say - God intends me to be here because I am so useful. Jesus never estimated His life along the line of the greatest use. God puts His saints where they will glorify Him, and we are no judges at all of where that is. ~Oswald Chambers, My Utmost For His Highest, August 10

Friday, November 18, 2011

Confession: Bum Glue

I'm not that good at sticking with something until I finish it.  I am easily distracted....

"Squirrel?!"
And once I leave something it's awfully difficult to get back to it.  I put the pro in procrastination.  I have baskets and boxes of projects started but never completed.  Want a half-finished crocheted scarf?  How about our Christmas card from two years ago?  It was so cute.  Too bad nobody ever saw it.  Our boys' room has four windows.  Two have curtains.

It's not a great trait, I admit.  It's not something I'm proud of.  And it drives me CRAZY when I see this trait in my children.  I tell them to apply some bum glue and to not get up until they are finished.  I should get some of that glue for myself.

As bad as I am at committing to projects, I do not have the same problem committing to people.  When I commit to someone as a friend or a sister or a church, I'm pretty much in it for the long haul.  I will not easily write you off, take back my heart, or find a new place to worship.  Even if you really tick me off.  Somehow I don't easily move on.



Because I'm like this, it really chaps my booty when other people aren't.  When people end friendships it puzzles me.  What happened to all the reasons you entered this relationship to begin with?  When husband and wife split up and say things like, "I just don't love him anymore" or "I love him, but we are healthier apart," it drives me crazy.  "No fault" divorce and "irreconcilable differences" are words that should be stricken from a Christian's vocabulary.  When people leave a church because the grass is greener somewhere else, it really saddens me.

You stick with people.  You just do.  As irritating and disappointing and irrational as people can be at times, I still believe that people are worth it.  Oh, sure, I've been hurt by people.  There are mean people out there that we are better off without.  But most people are worth it.  I don't know why, they just are.

Maybe it's because people are made in God's image.

Maybe it's because I'm just so needy that I must have people in my life.

Maybe I'm an optimist deep down.

I don't know.

But, I do know that relationships mature into something beautiful.  Whether that relationship is between husband and wife or friends or your church membership, it takes time for it to become something beautiful and priceless.  Like a fine wine.  If you pop the top on that bottle of grape juice too early, it's not going to be as lovely as it would be if you waited a little longer.

I know I'm idealistic to a fault sometimes.  It's not always a true reflection of real life.  But, for goodness' sakes, get yourself some bum glue and stick around a little longer.

As for me, I'm going to go find an unfinished project and finish it.



[Disclaimer: Yes, I do know sometimes relationships end.  Yes, I do know that sometimes God moves people from one church to another.  Yes, I do know that there is a place for divorce.  Sometimes it can't be helped.  I am in no way suggesting that anyone stick around in an abusive relationship and lose their self-respect.  I feel, however, that these are the exceptions and not the rule.]

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...