Wasting our lives and glorifying God

Wasting our lives and glorifying God
Notice God's unutterable waste of saints, according to the judgment of the world. God plants His saints in the most useless places. We say - God intends me to be here because I am so useful. Jesus never estimated His life along the line of the greatest use. God puts His saints where they will glorify Him, and we are no judges at all of where that is. ~Oswald Chambers, My Utmost For His Highest, August 10

Thursday, June 16, 2011

From The Ladies of the M.E. Church

I picked up this antique cookbook at an antique show in Paso Robles a few weeks ago.

It's the 1912-1913 addition of the church ladies cookbook.  The Grayville Cook Book.  What a little gem.  I love old books.  Especially ones that originally cost 75 cents and I talked the lady down to $10. 


I present the opening passages here for your inspiration, amusement, astonishment or perhaps for your horror.  Really I'm OK with any of the above responses.

(Click on the image for the enlarged view.)

It says (I'm not not making this up):

The old Anglo Saxon idea of the lady or the loaf giver still holds good, though conditions have changed; there is no higher avocation than being priestess of the home, looking to the health and happiness of the family.  The quotation "Whom God hath joined in matrimony, ill-cooked joints and ill cooked potatoes have very often put asunder," is very apt.

In giving this book to the public, we, the members of this committee have endeavored to assemble tried and tested recipes that would meet all the needs of the most discriminating housewife.  We desire to express our gratitude to the friends who have contributed to the success of this work by responding to promptly to our requests for recipes.

Mrs. George Mathews
Mrs. J.B. Jolly
Mrs. S.P. Ronalds
Mrs. Charles Melrose

The next page says:

"See that your kitchen fire be bright,
And your hands be neat and skilled,
For the love of man oft takes its flight
If his stomach be not well filled."

And with that, I leave you to go put supper on.


4 comments:

Mary said...

How cute, I love that!

Sharon Wilfong said...

I don't understand what's to be horrified over. I guess homemaking is considered so backwards these days. I've come full circle on that. There's no higher calling than being a homemaker.
Love the photo of you and your kids. Found you on BPOW and now following!

Karen Joy said...

The book must be from England! Even better! They call roasts "joints" there. :)

Gombojav Tribe said...

Actually it's from Illinois!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...